Think I Found a Good Thyroid Doctor; Great Thyroid Update

>> 1/25/10

I had my doctor's appointment on Thursday with the new doctor to manage my thyroid.  I think I found a good one.  Finally!  This doctor sat and talked with me for over an hour!  That doesn't happen very often.

First, everything that I had told the endocrinologist (that the endocrinologist wouldn't do), this doctor agrees with me on!  I wanted my T3 raised.  The endo said no.  This doctor increased my medication my 60 mg of compounded natural thyroid a day.  I go back in three weeks where he said he'll probably bump it up again, depending on how I am feeling.  The endocrinologist wanted to reduce my thyroid medication (to increase my TSH levels).  I would've felt even worse!  The goal is to increase my T3 levels into the upper part of the normal range.

The endocrinologist, when I complained of not feeling well, always feeling tired with no energy and achy, said I could have chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia.  He completely ignored HIS OWN LABS that showed I was anemic.  Combined with low T3 levels, it's no wonder I didn't have any energy.  My Vitamin D levels were also very low (again, the endo. ignored his own labs). 

I told my new doctor that I was taking Iodoral (iodine).  He wants me to continue taking it daily. 

It was nice to go into the doctor's office and be heard.  It was nice to tell a doctor every symptom and be believed.  Not only believed but proactively helped.  I walked out of the endocrinologist's office angry and frustrated.  I walked out of my new doctor's office happy and full of hope that I'd finally start to feel like me again.

I go back for a 3 week check up in February and then get labs drawn in two months to see where I'm at in terms of medication dosages, etc.  The labs will be for:  TSH, Vitamin D, Ferritin/Iron & TIBC, Free T3, Free T4, Total T3, Reverse T3, Thyroglobulin panel and thyroid perioxidase microsomal antibodies (for the Hashitmoto's).

When I was done with my appointment, they handed me a print out showing all the medications and dosages, my vital signs for that appointment and what the plans are for follow-ups and labs.  Very cool!

Also, I am taller than I thought.  I don't think I've had my height measured since I got my first driver's license.  Instead of the 5'6" I thought I was all this time, I am 5'7.5".  That's WAY cool.  I always wanted to be 5'8" and now I'm close enough.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP