The Cortisol Connection Diet

>> 8/23/09

I recently finished reading The Cortisol Connection Diet: The Breakthrough Program to Control Stress and Lose Weight. It was written by Ph.D. Shawn Talbott.

I read it because I am concerned about cortisol levels and adrenal function. I'm concerned about the high level of stress I was in for years and if that caused or contributed to my current health problems today. It's the first book I've read on this topic (so far). I plan to read more.

The different chapters are:

  1. Eating for Quality and Quantity
  2. Cortisol Control
  3. Blood-Sugar Control
  4. Thermogenesis
  5. General Metabolic Support
  6. Putting It All Together


I made note of some things that I wanted to remember for myself:

  • Chromium: essential trace mineral for glucose metabolism, insulin regulation, and appetite control. For overweight people, the book recommends 200-400 mcg per day. I haven't looked it up with other sources yet to see if that is in line with other recommendations.
  • Vanadium: another trace mineral for normal insulin function. I've never heard of vanadium! The book says safe levels are 10-100 mcg/day. Never having heard of this, I am going to need to research it more. You have to be careful because some sources of this have it at possible toxic levels (body building supplements).
  • Banaba Leaf: Again, never heard of this. The book says it is a medicinal plant and uses of it are for diabetes and hyperglycemia. Will have to research this more.
  • We have all heard this many times but we should drink lots of water! The book says it is needed for proper fat burning, maintaining muscle mass, and boosting metabolism. It says if you are dehydrated, it can boost cortisol levels and reduce your metabolic rate.
  • When looking for an antioxidant, look for one that includes Vitamin C, Vitamin E, thiols, carotenoids, and flavonoids.
  • Green tea: We've seen the green tea diets out there. The book talks about how green tea catechins "improve several metabolic aspects". The book recommends 200-750 mg of green tea extract standardized for polyphenols/catechins.

Now onto some thyroid support information:

  • Stress hormones (cortisol) can inhibit conversion of T4 to T3.
  • The book recommends the following nutritional supplements to support healthy functions: iodine and bladderwack.
  • To improve conversion of T4 to T3: selenium and zinc, Vitamin E

Those were some of the notes I made from the book.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP