Reverse T3

>> 3/16/10

Well, the hospital failed to send my lab results to my doctor that were done almost two weeks ago so the only lab I have back is my Reverse T3 lab.

Results:    53  (normal range is 11-32)    High

So I googled REVERSE T3 (and Reverse T3 Dominance) since I wasn't sure what this could mean.  Here are the notes I jotted down:

  • Causes metabolic break
  • Hypometabolism
  • Reverse T3 (RT3) is the non-active form of T3 that is similar in composition to T3 (the active form).  Because it is so similar, it fits into the receptors where T3 should go, taking its place.  Therefore, the non-active form is in the place where the active (T3) form should be.
  • Reverse T3 is a T4 metabolism malfunction (T4 is supposed to convert into T3 and some RT3 but when too much is being converted into RT3, it creates problems).
  • Caused by prolonged stress, which increases cortisol, which interferes in the conversion of T4 to T3.  (Huh...years of dealing with hubby's ex will do that to a person.) 
  • If blood tests show T3 and T4 levels in blood are within normal range, a reverse T3 problem will result in continued hypothyroid symptoms because the T3 circulating in the blood isn't the same as the T3 at tissue-level (where the RT3 takes the place of T3 in the body's cells).
  • RT3 dominance
  • Some web sites indicate a slow-release T3 (like cytomel) is needed while others say it isn't.  Taking regular T3 is ok if you break it up into 4-5 doses per day.  I will have to wait to see what my doctor thinks once the rest of my results are in.
So all these years of complaints to my various doctors about continued hypothyroid symptoms despite my other thyroid levels being ok (according to the blood tests and docs) may have been cleared up with a simple Reverse T3 blood test?   For more than eight friggen years?  That makes me angry.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP